30 September 2012

The perfect travel partner, part 2

A couple of years ago now I travelled overseas with my best friend.  We had never travelled together and I was looking forward to getting away and relaxing for two weeks. We got along really well so being together for two weeks straight would be a breeze right? Wrong.






You see even though she had grown up in Europe and travelled quite a bit, she wasn’t what I would call a savvy traveller. Dinner and lunches meant I would need to order for her because she couldn’t decide what she wanted and couldn’t handle a hint of chilli, did I mention we were in Thailand? That was fine, I could do that.

Being grounded in Bangkok for four hours in the heat and stench is annoying for anyone but apparently more so for my friend as she complained endlessly for those four hours. If I had to hear it for just one more moment I would have beat the plane and ran like a mad woman to Phuket...alone.

The little annoyances turned into large ones and I eventually told her I needed space so left her alone in the hotel room (as she would get lost if she went anywhere else) and walked for couple of hours to relax.

It wasn’t all bad I guess there were times when I’m sure I drove her crazy too.

Check out our tips on 'What not to do' as a travel partner The perfect travel partner, part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment